Pharmacy Practice Model
The Pharmacists at St. Joseph's are an integral part of the multi-disciplinary team dedicated to providing high quality patient centered care. The Department of Pharmacy Services is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Dedicated pharmacists and technicians work closely with physicians, nurses, and other health care personnel, in a decentralized pharmacy practice model. Pharmacists are stationed in patient care areas throughout the hospital and provide pharmacy services to inpatients and outpatients. In 2009, the pharmacists reviewed over 2,700 medication orders per day and performed over 25,000 clinical interventions with an associated cost savings/avoidance of over $1.5 million.
Services offered through the main pharmacy include: IV admixture & sterile product preparation, TPN review and profiling and chemotherapy review and preparation. Through extensive use of technology and automated dispensing cabinets, pharmacists are able to provide more cognitive services and patient-centered pharmaceutical care.
St. Joseph's Children's Hospital is supported by a Pediatric/Neonatal Pharmacy Satellite. Our services extend to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), General Pediatrics, and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Services. Specialized pharmacists work closely with the healthcare team to provide safe and effective treatments for our pediatric patients.
Our team of highly trained pharmacists includes specialists in: Anticoagulation/Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Emergency Medicine, Geriatrics, Infectious Diseases, Medication Safety, and Pediatrics. Our pharmacists are actively involved with research activities, mentorship and teaching. Their work is recognized at a state and national level. Members of our team are involved with pharmacy organizational and legislative initiatives on a state and national level.
Department of Pharmacy Mission
The mission of the Department of Pharmacy Services is to:
- Embrace best professional practices and standards that provide compassionate, meaningful, and high quality care for all patients
- Commit to develop our pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in the areas of education, academia, certification, and career growth to maximize their potential to impact clinical pharmaceutical care
- Embrace new technology and systems that promote medication safety, accurate drug distribution, and provision of patient and staff pharmaceutical education
- Strive to become an industry leader in the management and coordination of pharmacy practice, medication guidelines, and academic excellence
- Foster creativity and opportunities for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians to help reach their maximum potential
- Abide by and exceed regulatory standards imposed or suggested by pharmaceutical, governmental, and healthcare agencies
- Support a Just Culture that encourages pharmacy staff to constantly explore, create and question procedures, programs, and initiatives that focus on patient medication management, safety, and outcomes