From 102 patients in the first year of operation to more than 1.6 million patient-visits last year, St. Joseph’s continues to evolve as the leading health resource in the community and for the community. The hub of the multifaceted St. Joseph’s Healthcare System, St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center is a member of an integrated System of components aligned to provide a comprehensive spectrum of services designed to heal the minds, bodies, and spirits of those in need.
With more than 1,300 on our medical staff and nearly 5,100 employees, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System is the largest employer in Passaic County, the largest provider of charity care in New Jersey, and the health care provider of choice for the residents of the region. Serving close to 1,000 beds system-wide, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System continues to fulfill the Mission, Vision, and Values set forth by its founders and sponsors, the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth.
St. Joseph's Healthcare System is a healing ministry of the Catholic Church sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth. We are committed to provide exceptional quality care which sustains and improves both individual and community health, with a special concern for those who are poor, vulnerable and underserved.
St. Joseph’s Healthcare System is the premier Catholic healthcare provider in New Jersey dedicated to improving the health of people and communities whom we serve. We will understand and respond to the needs of our communities, leverage the strengths of our system, provide a transformational healing presence and collaborate with others who share our values.
The core values express our convictions and beliefs. We integrate and affirm these values in all that we do.
Justice - We advocate for the needs of all, especially the most vulnerable. We are committed in all our endeavors to be ethical, fair-minded and honest.
Excellence - We hold ourselves accountable to the highest possible standards of clinical and service quality.
- Embracing Excellence
- Community Health Needs Assessment
- Contact Us
Embracing Excellence, the St. Joseph’s Healthcare System Customer Service initiative, incorporates the Mission, Vision and Values of the Healthcare System. Embracing Excellence evolved as a result of leadership’s vision of elevating the service culture of St. Joseph’s from good to great to excellent. This initiative is a reflection of our commitment to achieve healthcare excellence every day.
As a faith-based system, it is important that we all feel respected and valued for what each of us contributes to the Healthcare System. Embracing Excellence focuses on helping us learn or re-learn the value of the way we do what we do for all our customers. “What we do” may be making a meal, administering medications, sweeping the floor, diagnosing an illness, or filling out forms. The “way we do it” can be task oriented, but we must carry the task out with our hearts and customers’ best interests in mind. We define our customers as patients, nursing home residents, physicians, visitors, and employees.
The Embracing Excellence Initiative began in 2009 and is an ongoing commitment to improve our service culture. Our values of Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Stewardship express our convictions and beliefs and we strive through Embracing Excellence to integrate these values into all that we do.
Some accomplishments thus far include, but are not limited to:
- Creation of the Embracing Excellence Steering Committee guiding the initiative
- Action Teams working on specific areas of focus
- Introduction of Values-Based Standards
- Kick-Off and Anniversary Celebrations
- Department specific Representatives identified and trained
- Retreat Facilitators identified and trained
- Embracing Excellence Retreats for all employees
- Monthly Department Representative meetings
- Embracing Excellence information available on the Healthcare System Intranet, the employee-dedicated website
- Creation of Embracing Excellence desk top screensavers and video for internal use
- Monthly Embracing Excellence tips and updates published in the AWL, the monthly employee newsletter
- Cultural Competency training for staff
- Expansion of Interpretation Services
- Implementation of LEAD Service Recovery Model
- Employee education through information on bulletin boards and at patient satisfaction fairs
- Recognition of excellent employees through the NIFTY Program
- E-greetings for patients available through our website
The goal of Embracing Excellence is to make St. Joseph’s an even greater place to work and to receive healthcare. We are proud of our ongoing efforts to truly live our Mission, Vision and Values as we work together to create an environment of healing, compassion, and excellence for all the customers of the St. Joseph’s Healthcare System.
Community Health Needs Assessment:
If you have any questions or would like more information about our mission and/or our Embracing Excellence initiative please call Customer Care Services at 973.754.3080 or fill out the form below: