The Health Sciences Library provides current, authoritative information in a timely manner to all hospital staff and patients who request it. The library acquires, preserves, organizes and disseminates a collection in a variety of formats that supports patient care and the research and educational programs of the hospital. The Paterson campus library is located on the fourth floor of the Xavier Building at St. Joseph’s University Medical Center. The Wayne campus library is located on the main level of the hospital behind the Meyer Conference Room.
Library Services include:
- Literature Searches
- Interlibrary Loan
- Reference Services
- Current Awareness
- Computer Access
- The library also houses the Hospital Archives
The library provides support to hospital authors by performing literature searches, and delivering articles to authors. Some recent publications include:
- Ephros H, Kim S, DeFalco R. Peri-implantitis: Evaluation and Management. Dental Clinics of North America. 2020 Apr;64(2):305-313.
- Haas MR, Haley K, Nagappan BS, Ankel F, Swaminathan A, Santen SA. The connected educator: personal learning networks. The Clinical Teacher. 2020 Feb 24.
- Garris R, Abanoub R, Qaqa F, Rana C, Guragai N, Habib HA, Shamoon F, Bikkina M. Conquering the pneumococcal nemesis with oral antibiotics. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives. 2020 Feb 10;10(1):65-68.
- Kowalski MO, Basile C, Bersick E, Cole DA, McClure DE, Weaver SH. What Do Nurses Need to Practice Effectively in the Hospital Environment? An Integrative Review With Implications for Nurse Leaders. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. 2020 Feb;17(1):60-70.
- Novack TA, Kurowicki J, Issa K, Pierce TP, Festa A, McInerney VK, Scillia AJ. Accelerated Discharge following Total Knee Arthroplasty May Be Safe in a Teaching Institution. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2020 Jan;33(1):8-11.
- Yuridullah R, Patel V, Melki G, Bollu J. Acute esophageal necrosis masquerading acute coronary syndrome. Autopsy & Case Reports. 2020 Jan 21;10(1):e2019136.
- Library Staff
- Hours of Operation
The library staff, led by the Director of Library Services, Patricia May, has well over one hundred years of professional experience. The librarians are all masters-trained, and have certifications from the Medical Library Association’s (MLA) Academy of Health Information Professionals. They regularly attend continuing education courses in order to continue to provide cutting-edge services.
Patricia May, MLS, AHIP,
St. Joseph’s University Medical Center Campus Library is staffed during the following hours:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Thursday - 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
St. Joseph’s Wayne Medical Center Campus Library is staffed during the following hours:
- Monday, Friday - 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The libraries are closed for holidays on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Both campus libraries are accessible to staff 24 hours a day with ID card reader access.