St. Joseph’s University Medical Center has earned disease specific certification in Primary Stroke from Det Norske Veritas (DNV) and has been designated by the State of New Jersey, Department of Health and Senior Service as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. The stroke program has also been recognized by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s “Get With The Guidelines” Program and has received the Gold Plus Award for quality stroke care. The multidisciplinary stroke team of Board-certified and fellowship-trained experts includes: Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, Neuro-Interventionalist, Neuro- Radiologists, Interventional Radiologists, Neuro-trained Nurse Practitioners, Neuro-trained Nurses, Psychiatric and Behavioral Specialists, Physical and Speech Therapists, Social Workers and Case Managers. Additionally, stroke services include:
- Rapid diagnosis and treatment by a specially trained Stroke Code Response Team available 24/7
- Advanced medical therapies including intravenous TPA
- Neuro-interventional and Neuro-radiology imaging diagnostic technology – including cerebral angiography and mechanical embolectomy procedures
- A dedicated Neurology Stroke Unit and a 4-bed Neurology Special Care Unit
- Specialty Stroke Clinic for outpatient follow-up care
- Neuro-interventional procedures
- Rehabilitation including speech, swallowing, occupational and physical therapy
- Pharmaceutical treatment options
If you think that someone may be having a stroke, here are a few things you can do to help evaluate the situation: Just remember to act F.A.S.T. Face - Ask the person to smile; Arms - Ask the person to raise both arms; Speech - Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence; Time - If there are any symptoms, note the time!
- Contact Us
For more information about The Neuroscience Institute at St. Joseph’s, please contact us at 973.754.2000.