The 6th Annual Research Day at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center (SJRMC) highlighted the research findings of physicians from various specialty areas throughout the hospital. This year, 19 abstracts were submitted for the competition. Peter McGovern, MD, Chief, Reproductive Endocrinology, SJRMC, and Chairman, OB/GYN, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital, delivered the keynote address entitled, “Complete bilateral salpingectomy: Why not?”
Five finalists were selected by the Research Committee to present their work to the judging panel and audience members. After each finalist’s presentation, audience members and judges had the opportunity to ask questions. The judges’ scoring system determined the overall placing and at the end of the competition the audience used instantaneous audience response technology to vote for their crowd favorite, resulting in the naming of the 2015 Research Idol.
Congratulations to the finalists! Presenters are denoted in italics.
- 1ST Place: “Performance of non-contrast MRI in evaluation of appendicitis in children” – Ashley Notartomaso, MD; Edward Milman, MD; Robin Frank-Gerszberg, MD; Warren Freitag, MD; Nileshwari Patel, MSN; Michael Gorn, MD
- 2nd Place: “Prevalence of silent voiding dysfunction in morbidly obese women before and after bariatric surgery” – Jihad Azar, MD; Sam Hessami, MD; Amit Trivedi, MD; Oksana Shklyanka, MD; Elie Geara, MD; Onyinyechukwu Kanu, MS
- 3rd Place: “Incidence of early Left Ventricular Thrombus (LVT) formation after St-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) in primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) era: A single-center experience” – Sundermurthy Yamini, MD; Ashesha Mechineni, MD; Priyank Shah, MD; Sharad Bajaj, MD; Hartaj Virk, MD; Aiman Hamdan, MD; Fayez Shamoon, MD; Mahesh Bikkina, MD
- Runner Up: “The impact of intraoperative anesthesia techniques on post-operative nausea and vomiting in the ENT ambulatory setting” – Joseph Eisele, DO; Darren Cuthbert, MPH; Michael Grinn, MPH; Allarice Linaac, MPH; Radhika Ravi, MD, PhD
- Runner Up: “The use of breath alcohol concentration, a validated test compared to blood alcohol concentration, will likely cut healthcare costs, decrease ED length of stay, and improve patient satisfaction” – Zev Lob, DO; Steven Hochman, MD; David Adinaro, MD
- 2015 Research Idol: Department of Pediatrics
A special ‘Thank You’ to this year’s judges: Mark Connolly, MD, Chairman, Surgery, SJRMC; Michael Lamacchia, MD, Chairman, Pediatrics, St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital; Sam Hessami, MD, Chief, Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery; and, guest judge Peter McGovern, MD, Chief of Reproductive Endocrinology, SJRMC, and Chairman OB/GYN, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital.
Pictured (l to r): Loretta Hall, Manager, Research Institute, St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center (SJRMC); Michael Lamacchia, MD, Chairman, Pediatrics, St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital (SJCH); Jai Parekh, MD, Medical Director, Research Institute, SJRMC; Sam Hessami, MD, Chief, Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, SJRMC; Ashley Notartomaso, MD, 3rd year Postgraduate Resident (PGY-3), Department of Pediatrics; Jihad Azar, MD, PGY-3, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology; Sundermurthy Yamini, MD, 2nd year Postgraduate Resident, Department of Internal Medicine; Zev Lob, DO, 4th year Postgraduate Resident, Department of Emergency Medicine; Joseph Eisele, DO, PGY-3, Department of Anesthesiology; Peter McGovern, MD, Chief of Reproductive Endocrinology, SJRMC, and Chairman OB/GYN, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital; and Lindsey Duffy, Director, Administrative Services, SJRMC.