The General Practice Residency at SJUMC prepares its graduates to practice full scopes of general dentistry. Our mission is to:
- Provide intensive and comprehensive training within all disciplines of general dentistry, such as oral and maxillofacial surgery, endodontics, prosthodontics, periodontics, and pediatrics so that residents are proficient in practicing to the standard of a general dentist.
- Provide training in patient assessment, diagnosing, and treatment planning for comprehensive and emergency cares.
- Provide opportunities for residents to treat medically complex patients, special needs, and pediatric patients under IV sedation and/or general anesthesia.
- Deliver a didactic program that is multifaceted and that integrates basic and clinical sciences at a level well above pre-doctoral education so that residents are prepared to utilize that knowledge in clinical and private practice.
- Promote an environment conducive to learning by an open exchange of ideas, promoting scholarly activity by our weekly Journal Club, and promoting compassion and curiosity to deliver patient-centered care.